Tuesday, June 30, 2009

French Macaroons

I keep seeing these and wondering what they taste like. They're so pretty and they look so light and fluffy! So when I came across a recipe for them in the "America's Test Kitchen" cookbook (get one - I have a 2008 one that is like magazine thickness and not one recipe has been un-amazing!) I thought I'd give it a try. So... they're really hard to make. I mean, totally doable but it's nothing like whipping up a batch of chocolate chip cookies.

And I ended up with these which,
a) are soooooo sweet that 1 is too much;
b) make you feel sick after you eat 1;
c) I should have made smaller (they're 2" wide about)
d) I needed a food processor for making the almond flour / sugar mixture more fine-ground but all I had was a handheld blender type deal - it worked but it wasn't thorough enough because they're pretty bumpy looking. Didn't effect the taste any though;
e) and I don't know what to do with them now!



I might try this again when I've got a food processor and when I have a lot of people to feed them to. The flavour is amazing I must add because of the almond flour, and they have a nice chewy consistency - not what I expected from pictures at all! But, then again, I have nothing to compare them to and I don't know what the real thing is like at all. Anybody know?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will not resist you making me a lovely french macaroon. Jeepers they look delish! What's in them? Good job!

Susie Q said...

well you could always just invite a whole bunch of people over, thats what we did in the experimental cupcake phase...do a colour me katie and make them fun coloured!

Ayla said...

They are made out of Almond flour, which I discovered is ground almonds, and sugar, and butter and eggs... oh and some vanilla. The icing centre was so buttery that it was like slimy so I added icing sugar but its still sooo fat-feeling-inducing. And yes, I shoulda made them all different colours but I will do it next time when I do a good batch, I need more practice!